About Nowse Hosting
I started way back in 1998
I don't think that it ever occurred to me that Nowse Hosting would last this long. Almost twenty years.
About Nowse Hosting
I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the history of Nowse Hosting, I think the infographic sufficiently sums it up pretty well. I will spend maybe a little time to explain some of the things that people don't seem to understand the service I provide.
- How or why did I pick the name, "nowse?" The answer is actually kind of sad by some accounts. In fact I have never really explained it to anyone before now. The truth is, someone told me to never be a wimp, and for some reason it stuck with me. When I was attempting to find a name for my web design business I had problems finding a domain name that wasn't taken, I decided on No Wimps Site Enterprises. I've been using the name so long now, that the original motive behind the name is long gone.I actually like it too.
- How do I want people to pronounce or refer to the site?To be completely honest I have almost given up on people pronouncing it the way I want. By proper English pronunciation standards, it would be pronounced like "nows." At the time I thought I could get away with playing with the pronunciation and people would 'get it' but nobody ever did. Most people just say, "your hosting service." But if you want to know, it's pronounced as "knows" with a long "o" and for some reason I don't have a problem saying it like others do.
- A lot of people don't realize that I don't have a computer in my living room that I'm trying to sell space to. The truth of the matter is I bought a server that resides at a datacenter in Utah. The server is owned by me and I have complete control over it, but it's housed with probably a thousand other servers. If there is ever any problems that I can't fix, then I contact the tech guys at the datacenter and they do the hardcore work.
- How many clients do I have? The truth is, is that I host only about 25 sites. Although there was a time that I was convinced that I was going to be a 'big player' in the hosting game, the reality was that I don't market my services well. I am convinced that Nowse Hosting is a great service, but it's hard to say that sometimes.
- Who are you? I added this because I think that it matters to someone when they are thinking about spending money based on trust. I am a middle-aged man that has done many things in my life. I was a professor of visual communication for about ten years, and have been building web sites for about twenty. I consider myself to be a citizen of the world and have traveled to nearly sixty countries in the last twelve years. If you want to know more about me, my personal site is here, Ken Curtis